October 7th 2016: World Smile Day.
Today, October 7th, 2016 is World Smile Day. In a world with so much fighting, terror, and tragedy, it can be hard to keep your head up. It is extremely important today, as well as every single other day of the year that we strive to make others happy and put a smile on the faces of those around us. Whether it's calling your mom to tell her you love her or donating money to a homeless person on the streets, there are countless things you can do to make the world a better place and spread smiles across the universe.
In the year 1963, in Worcester, Massachusetts, the smiley face was created by Harvey Ball. Harvey believed that at least one day a year should be dedicated to doing good for the world and making others smile. Each year on the first Friday of October, has been and will continue to be World Smile Day since 1999. The tradition of World Smile Day has continued on even following Harvey Ball's death in 2001. To find out more information about the history of World Smile Day, click here.
Below, I have created a list of 25 little things you can do to make someone happy today, as well as every other day.
1. Make lunches that you can hand out to homeless people.
2. Volunteer in a local soup kitchen.
3. Pay for the food or drink of the person behind you in line.
4. Bring donuts into the office for your co-workers.
5. Volunteer your time at a nursing home or hospital.
6. Hold the door open for others.
7. Invite someone out for dinner or a movie and pay for them.
8. Call your parents or grandparents and catch up.
9. Compliment random strangers.
10. Leave a big tip at a restaurant.
11. Babysit for free.
12. Send your parents or grandparents flowers.
13. Donate old clothing to those in need.
14. Tell someone you believe in them.
15. Ask the elderly people in your life to tell you stories from their young adulthood.
16. Do the chores your roommate hasn't gotten to yet.
17. Tell an old friend you miss them and have been thinking of them.
18. Buy your roommate or siblings favorite sweet for them.
19. Invite your friends and family over for dinner.
20. Take a young child in your family to see a movie.
21. Send someone who is sick or feeling down a care package.
22. Ask someone where they got a specific article of clothing.
23. Order pizza for you and your co-workers.
24. Buy stuffed animals and bring them to sick children in the hospital.
25. Ask a stranger if they want to sit with you while you eat.