The Perfect Healthy Date Night
How many times can you remember going out for your typical date night of endless pasta and bread sticks or a late night movie with the promise of a refillable popcorn dripping with movie theater butter? More times than you can count right? When people picture date nights, they picture indulging in every little thing. There’s nothing wrong with that, however, a healthy date night could be just the change of pace you and your partner need. Start the night early with smoothies.
Head to your local smoothie bar to give yourselves a little bit of energy before the festivities of the evening begin. Try a smoothie that neither of you have given any thought to before, like the green monster or something yummy with acai berries. Adding an energizer to your smoothie might be in your best interest with whatever else the night has in store.
Take a dance class.
Taking a dance class can be the perfect active way to spend some time with your partner – whether it’s a ballroom class or a salsa class you can both learn some new moves. Don’t worry if you don’t think you have rhythm or the only dance move you know is the old school sprinkler; everyone there is learning the moves too. And if you discover you have two left feet, the two of you can laugh about the ordeal later. Either way you’re bound to get your heart rate up and make some memories in the process.
Make a late evening dinner of lemon chicken and zucchini.
After all of that dancing you’re sure to be starving. Instead of going out to dinner, where the calories can be packed into such a small amount of food, head to one of your homes to make a delicious dinner. This way you know exactly what is going into your food.
To make lemon chicken you’ll need:
- 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- 1 fresh lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Drizzle olive oil on the baking sheet – especially where the chicken will be.
- Place the chicken on the cooking sheet and sprinkle salt and pepper over the pieces.
- Wash and slice the lemon and place three slices on top of each piece of chicken. (The lemon flavoring will soak into the chicken while it cooks.)
- Cook for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven cook time or until there is no more pink in the chicken.
- Serve with the cooked zucchini.
To make the zucchini you’ll need:
- 1 fresh zucchini
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Sea Salt
- Coat a sautee pan with olive oil.
- Wash and slice the zucchini.
- Add the zucchini into the pan.
- Sprinkle with pepper, add in the garlic, and add in a pinch of salt.
- Cook over the stove for 5-10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
This two dishes complement each other and will make for a perfect post dance class dinner before the best part of the night, the dessert.
End the night with wine and chocolate.
Let’s be honest, wine and chocolate are the way to a girl’s heart. With a glass of red wine paired with dark chocolate, you can keep your heart healthy and satisfy that sweet tooth. This is a great way to end the evening with your partner. A small amount of dark chocolate can help improve your blood pressure and won’t be over the top with sugar.